Birth or Adoption of a Child
When you welcome a new child into the family, or a child becomes eligible for coverage, you can add that child to certain benefits without waiting until the next annual Open Enrollment period. These life events include:
- Birth, adoption, placement for adoption or legal custody of a child (including foster care and guardianship). You cannot cover a sibling of the employee or sibling of a registered domestic partner.
- Change in your child care costs or provider
|PLANS YOU MAY BE ABLE TO UPDATE||HOW TO MAKE CHANGES||EFFECTIVE DATE||DEADLINE TO SUBMIT|
Make your changes online
|Date of the event||31 days from the date of the event|
Please note: Benefits discussed here are governed by the plan contracts and policies, Stanford policies and applicable state and federal laws. If there is a conflict between the wording of this information and any policy, contract or law, the contracts, policies and applicable laws govern. We reserve the right to alter, amend or terminate any of the benefits described in this booklet at any time. If this happens, we will notify those affected by the change.
1. Submit document(s) to verify dependent eligibility
Within 31 days of your life event, submit your documentation via the upload feature in My Benefits or fax to 866-539-0431. If documentation is not received, your dependents coverage will be canceled retroactive to the date of the life event.
2. Review your beneficiary designation
Log into My Benefits to review and update your beneficiary designation.
3. Prepare to Return to Work
You may want to review the Maternity & Expectant Parents page on the WorkLife website, which includes resources for child care and emergency and back-up care, financial assistance and workshops such as BABBLE: Back After Baby Bonding Leave Ends.