Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Our improved site navigation is here! Thank you to everyone who participated in our user tests. Send us your feedback.

How to Apply for a Hardship Distribution

Main content start

Apply for a Hardship Distribution

All hardship distribution requests must be approved and signed off by a representative of Stanford Benefits. 

You must submit written evidence of both the nature and amount of your financial need. If you are married, your spouse must consent to the distribution. Other limitations, such as court orders, may also apply.

Distributions are subject to federal and state income taxes. Distributions made before age 59½ may also be subject to federal and state penalty taxes.

You should consult with a tax advisor before applying for a hardship withdrawal.

To apply:

  • Fidelity and Vanguard Funds – Hardship distribution instructions and application forms are available from a Fidelity representative at (888) 793-8733
  • TIAA Funds – You can print a TIAA Hardship Application Form or contact the University HR Service Team at (650) 736-2985, option 9

More Information

For more information on hardship distributions, download How to Request a Hardship Distribution or call the Stanford Retirement Manager and speak with a retirement specialist.