Application Process for Retirees, Emeriti, VA Employees, and Beneficiaries of Deceased Employees
Submit your paper application for each academic year starting on April 1. Applications received after the start of the school year could delay the receipt of your authorization letter and may impact your child's ability to register for classes on time.
Note: Please do not submit a paper application if you are an active benefits-eligible faculty or staff member. Paper applications are reserved for retirees, emeriti, VA employees, and/or beneficiaries of deceased employees.
1. Complete TGP Application Form
You must apply and reapply starting on April 1 of each academic year. If you have not yet reached your five year service requirement, please submit your initial application on or after your anniversary date.
2. Attach Required Dependent Documentation
If this is your first TGP application for a particular child, you will be required to provide dependent relationship documentation with your application.
- Please review the TGP Dependent Eligibility Documentation for information about acceptable documents.
- Photocopies are acceptable. Please do not send any original documents.
Once a child is substantiated, you don’t have to repeat this step again during the child’s entire TGP participation.
Note: Additional documentation may be required prior to approval by the TGP Administrator.
3. Send the Authorization Letter to the School
- Once your application is approved, you will be issued an Authorization Letter by the TGP.
- The Authorization Letter notifies the school that your child is enrolled in the Tuition Grant Program, verifies that payment from Stanford is guaranteed, and gives instructions on how to invoice Stanford directly for each term. It is your responsibility* to send the letter to the “Third Party Billing” person/department at your child's school. This is very important.
*Exceptions: The Authorization Letter instructions do not apply to you, if:
1. Your child is attending Stanford University
- It is the TGP department’s responsibility to notify Stanford’s Financial Aid Office that your child is enrolled in TGP.
2. Your TGP benefit is taxable
- Please do not send the Authorization Letter to the school since they will not be invoicing us. Your child's school will invoice you and then TGP will reimburse you.