Even the best planned child care arrangements can be disrupted from time to time. If your provider is unavailable (due to illness or vacation) we offer the Bright Horizons Back-up Care™ to assist. The program helps benefits-eligible faculty and staff to find high-quality temporary center-based and in-home child care from credentialed in-home care agencies and trained caregivers provided through Bright Horizons®.
Learn About This Service
As a benefits-eligible faculty or staff member, you can use the Bright Horizons Back-Up Care™ when you need to be at work and your regular child care arrangements are unavailable. Care options are available nationwide.
Register for free so you can use care:
- When your regular caregiver is ill or temporarily unavailable
- When you are between child care arrangements
- When your child's school is closed
- To ease transition back into a regular work schedule when returning from leave
- To accommodate changes in flexible work arrangements
- For center-based care there is a $15 co-pay per child per day, with a maximum of $25 per family per day
- For in-home dependent care, there is a $6 co-pay per hour, with a 4-hour minimum for all in-home care reservations
- This benefit is available for a maximum of 10 days for faculty and staff per calendar year
IRS Tax Information:
Usage of Stanford's back-up care program is an employer-sponsored service that will be reported in Box 10 on your W-2. Dependent care benefits include your pre-tax contributions to your dependent care FSA. Also included are eligible amounts paid by your employer to you or to your day care provider and the fair market value of dependent care in a facility provided by or sponsored by your employer. The fair market value of dependent care services that exceed the non-taxable limit of $5,000 allowed for the FSA is listed in boxes 1, 3 and 5 of the W-2 form. You must complete Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, to compute any taxable and nontaxable amounts. For further guidance on this topic, and to review any questions you may have, please contact a tax professional or the IRS directly (www.irs.gov).
When you need back-up care, you need it fast, so you are encouraged to register prior to any need.
For more information and to register:
Call (877) BH-CARES (877-242-2737)
Or log in online using the information below.
- Visit Bright Horizons Family Solutions*
- If this is the first time you are using care, click on the Register Now link under the Login button
- Username: sucares
- Password: Benefits4You
*Please note, the registration site is best viewed in Internet Explorer 9 (in compatibility mode), Internet Explorer 11 or above, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
Additional Family Support
In order to assist you in your search for ongoing child care, you also have:
- Priority access enrollment status for full-time enrollment at Bright Horizons child care centers
- Discounts at their partner network centers
Visit Bright Horizons Family Solutions and select “Center-Based Child Care” to locate a center near you.