Child Care Tuition Support for Students and Postdocs
As of September 1, 2021, the university has allocated ongoing funding to support child care access for postdoc and student families at Stanford. These support programs offset the on-campus child care center tuition rates, while also allowing our operators to meet their business objectives.
Tuition Reduction Program (TRP)
The TRP provides a 5% child care tuition reduction for all student and postdoc fellow families enrolled in Stanford University on-site child care.
- This program is available to all student and postdoc fellow families enrolled in Stanford on-site child care. There are no additional income and/or eligibility criteria.
- The full 5% monthly tuition reduction will be available for each child in a family.
- Enrollment in other Stanford financial assistance programs does not disqualify participation in the TRP.
- Families will automatically become participants in this program; no application needed.
Note: This new, ongoing program replaces the pilot Tuition Mitigation Program that was in effect during 2019 and 2020. Guidelines/parameters for the program may be revised.
Expanded: Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The TAP provides additional tuition discounts for income-eligible student and postdoc families at Stanford.
- The table below outlines specific eligibility criteria for Stanford student and postdoc families, effective September 1, 2023.
|TIER||ANNUAL FAMILY HOUSEHOLD INCOME||TUITION ASSISTANCE DISCOUNT|
|Tier 2||$75,001 - $110,000||15%|
|Tier 3||$110,001 - $150,000||10%|
Note: The income categories above follow the student and postdoc family grant program award criteria. Household income calculation will not include student or postdoc family grant program awards.
- The awards are available for all age children, regardless of their schedule (this includes part-time programs).
- Student and postdoc families who participate in the TAP are also fully eligible for the TRP.
- Tuition discounts, scholarships, and/or grants allocated by the child care center will be considered when applying for TAP.
- If the family has more than one child enrolled in the program, the award will be applied to each child. *
*This change was made as of September 1, 2022. Previously, siblings received a $100 award.
Applications are available directly from the on-campus child care centers and can be obtained by contacting the respective child care operator.
There is no due date for the application. However, applications will be reviewed and funds will be awarded as applications are received.
Child Care Tuition Discounts FAQs
Why do center tuition rates increase annually?
Tuition rates increase annually to ensure the child care center budgets are able to keep up with rising operational costs including classroom materials, competitive teacher total compensation, insurance, and other budget line items.
Is there a deadline to apply for the TAP or the TRP?
There is no application deadline for the TAP. Applications will be reviewed and awards granted as applications are received.
Families do not need to apply for the TRP. Beginning September 1, 2021, all graduate student and postdoc families will automatically become participants in the TRP. A 5% tuition reduction will be automatically applied for each child enrolled in Stanford child care.
Can I participate in both the TRP and TAP?
Yes. TRP and TAP are separate programs and you may participate in both simultaneously.
I have more than one child enrolled in Stanford child care. How will the TRP work for my family?
Your family will automatically receive a 5% reduction on each child’s monthly tuition.
I have more than one child enrolled in Stanford child care. How will the TAP work for my family?
In addition to receiving 5% off child care tuition through the TRP, if awarded the TAP, the discount will be applied to each child in the family effective September 1, 2022.
Prior to September 1, 2022, siblings had been awarded $100/month reduction in tuition.
What other child care assistance programs are available to students and postdocs?
- Child Care Assistance Grant (CCAG): New as of March 1, 2021, this program provides postdocs with up to $5,000 per year to assist with child care expenses.
Postdoc Family Grant Program: In addition to the Child Care Assistance Grant Program, the Family Grant offers postdocs with families up to $5,000 per year for living expenses that span beyond child care, including food, transportation and medical expenses.
Graduate Student Family Grant Program: This program offers graduate students with up to $15,000 to cover child-related expenses such as child care, healthcare, insurance and rent.