Adoption Assistance Program
Stanford offers benefits-eligible employees adoption assistance that reimburses up to $10,000 per adoption for "qualified adoption expenses." Any expenses incurred on or after the employee's first day of Stanford University employment, but not before September 1, 2001, are eligible for reimbursement consideration. Please refer to the program guidelines below for further detail.
Employees of Stanford Health Care and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital: Beginning January 1, 2017, each organization is proud to offer adoption assistance for eligible employees. Please refer to the following:
- Stanford Health Care Adoption Assistance—for questions, please contact HRBenefits@stanfordhealthcare.org
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Adoption Assistance—to learn about this program, please contact HR_Adoption@stanfordchildrens.org
- Adoption Assistance Program Guidelines
- Adoption Assistance Reimbursement Claim Form
- General Adoption Resources
- Faculty and staff must work at least 50% FTE and
- Have an assignment scheduled to last six months or longer.
An eligible child/ individual is
- Any child under age 18. If the child turned 18 during the year, the child is an eligible child for the part of the year they were under age 18.
- Any disabled individual is physically or mentally unable to take care of themselves.
- The child of the employee's spouse or domestic partner as long as they meet the above conditions.
Qualified Adoption Expenses" are reasonable and necessary fees, court costs, attorneys' fees, and other expenses related directly to the legal adoption of an eligible child.
Note: If an employee leaves the University, the employee is considered eligible for reimbursement of "qualified adoption expenses" if the placement of the eligible child or the finalization of adoption occurred prior to the end of employment. All expenses claimed must have been incurred while Stanford employed the employee. Claims for reimbursement must be made within 30 days of the end of employment.
Each applicant must provide documented "qualified adoption expenses" for an eligible child to receive:
- A reimbursement of up to $10,000 per adoption
- Up to two adoptions per family
Note: Any expenses that are reimbursable by another organization other than Stanford will not be eligible "qualified adoption expenses" for reimbursement under the Stanford Adoption Assistance Program.
|Applicant and spouse/partner work at Stanford||Eligible to be reimbursed up to a maximum of $10,000 per adoption and a limit of two adoptions per family ($20,000).|
|The applicant is simultaneously adopting two eligible children.||This is considered one adoption. Eligible to be reimbursed up to a maximum of $10,000.|
For more information or to schedule a 1:1 consultation, please contact us.