Even the best planned care arrangements can be disrupted from time to time. If your provider is unavailable (due to illness or vacation) we offer the Bright Horizons Back-up Care™. The program helps benefits-eligible faculty and staff to find high-quality temporary back-up care for children and adult/elder relatives through Bright Horizons®
Learn About This Service
As a benefits-eligible faculty or staff member, you can use the Bright Horizons Back-Up Care™ when you need to be at work and your regular child and/or adult and elder care arrangements are unavailable. You have access to center-based child care or in-home care for a dependent of any age. Care options are available nationwide.
Register for free so you can use care when:
- Your regular caregiver is unavailable
- Your child's regular school is closed
- You're between care arrangements for your adult/elder relative
- For center-based care there is a $15 co-pay per child per day, with a maximum of $25 per family per day.
- For in-home dependent care, there is a $6 co-pay per hour, with a 4-hour minimum for all in-home care reservations.
- This benefit is available for a maximum of 10 days for faculty and staff per calendar year.
*Reservations are accepted up to 30 days in advance of the needed care date. The High Demand Day Calendar refers to those days throughout the year when local public or private schools are closed and, therefore, our centers experience higher than average usage. Bright Horizons Family Solutions does its best to accommodate each reservation, however, there is often a waitlist for care in many California locations. Please be aware that accommodation in a specific center is not guaranteed and parents may need to be flexible with center and location options when planning to use back-up care.
IRS Tax Information:
Usage of Stanford's back-up care program is an employer-sponsored service that will be reported in Box 10 on your W-2. Dependent care benefits include your pre-tax contributions to your dependent care FSA. Also included are eligible amounts paid by your employer to you or to your day care provider and the fair market value of dependent care in a facility provided by or sponsored by your employer. The fair market value of dependent care services that exceed the non-taxable limit of $5,000 allowed for the FSA is listed in boxes 1, 3 and 5 of the W-2 form. You must complete Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, to compute any taxable and nontaxable amounts. For further guidance on this topic, and to review any questions you may have, please contact a tax professional or the IRS directly (www.irs.gov).
When you need back-up care, you need it fast, so you are encouraged to register prior to any need.
For more information and to register:
Call (877) BH-CARES (877-242-2737)
Or log in online the using the information below.
- Visit Bright Horizons Back-Up Care™ *
- Username: sucares
- Password: Benefits4You
*Please note, the registration site is best viewed in Internet Explorer 9 (in compatibility mode), Internet Explorer 11 or above, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
Additional Family Support
Do you need a night out of the house? Are you looking for an afterschool caregiver or someone to watch your pet while you're away on vacation? Get free membership to a comprehensive database, where you can find support that meets your needs; nannies, sitters, elder caregivers, pet sitters, housekeepers, and more. You also have access to:
- Full-Time Child Care: You can jump ahead on the waitlist at select Bright Horizons® centers, or enjoy exclusive discounts at participating partner centers that make child care more affordable.
- Tutoring & Test Prep: Get discounted tutoring resources for SATs/ACTs, standardized tests, Common Core subjects, and general help for your student.
Access Support Now: clients.brighthorizons.com/stanfordu