Skip to content Skip to navigation

FAQ for Current Employees

Below you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions about employment, benefits, Stanford Sweeteners, and more. Please browse this list before emailing HR Communications.


Q: How do I get a copy of my W-2 for tax purposes? It may have been sent to my old address, but I have since moved.

A: All W-2s are mailed out by January 31. To request a W-2 reprint starting February 15, please follow the instructions on the Fingate site.

If you need further assistance, please contact Payroll:

You should also update your contact information for the Stanford directory if you haven't already done so; please go to StanfordYou and click on "Maintain your directory and AlertSU emergency contact information."

Q: I no longer want to receive a paper copy of my W-2 Form by mail. Is there a paperless version?

A: Yes. In fact, due to the personal information included in W-2 Forms, it is recommended that employees opt for electronic delivery through Axess, which requires two-step authentication. Your consent will remain in place until such point as you withdraw it, or you terminate your employment with the university. If you are unsure if you have opted for electronic delivery in the past, confirm your e-consent in Axess on the Employee Center tab. Additional information about accessing and correcting your W-2 Forms is available through the university's financial gateway website (Fingate).

Employee Personnel Information

Q: I’m a Stanford employee and recently moved. How do I change my mailing address?

A: You can update your mailing address online at StanfordYou; click on "Maintain your directory and AlertSU emergency contact information."

Q: I recently married and changed my last name. How do I change my name on my employee record?

A: Please contact your school/unit HRM (HR manager) to update your employee record.

Q: How can I correct the name on my SUNet ID? I was recently sponsored one, but when I log in the name associated with the account is incorrect.

A: Please submit a HelpSU request. Use the request category of “Accounts, Passwords, Access Privileges, ID cards” and a request type of "SUNet ID Sponsorship" to inquire about changing your SUNet ID.


Q: I have a question about my health-related (medical, life, dental, vision, long-term care) or retirement savings benefits.

A: Please contact the University HR Service Team by calling (650) 736-2985 or toll free (877) 905-2985. You can also live chat, submit an online form or schedule an in-person appointment with a specialist by logging into My Benefits.

If you are a Stanford Health Care or Lucile Packard Hospital employee, please call

Q: I have a question about my benefits related to disability and family leaves.

A: Please call or email a University HR Service Team specialist in Disability & Family Leaves Support.

Job Postings and Salary Ranges

Below are a few of the most commonly asked questions regarding staff careers at Stanford. Please refer to the Stanford Careers FAQ for a complete list; if you still have questions, please contact Talent Acquisition. For questions about open faculty positions, please visit the faculty openings website.

Q: I saw a job posted on the Stanford Careers website last week, but it is no longer there. Can I still apply for the position? How long are jobs posted on the website?

A: Listings must be posted for a minimum of ten days. After that point, the department may close the opening at their discretion when a candidate pool has been identified. We update job postings on the Stanford Careers website frequently. If a job is listed on our site, it is considered open.

Q: I’m a current Stanford employee and am having difficulty finding a salary range for a job I’m interested in. Can you point me in the right direction?

A: You may review the Job Salary Structure online by logging into Axess or visiting the Cardinal at Work website. You must log in using your SUNet ID and password to view the document.

When in Axess, go to the Employee Center tab, then under the “Cardinal at Work Updates” section select “Staff Salary Structure.” From there, you will be able to see your salary range.

Time Off

Q: How many vacation days do I get each year?

A: To determine the number of vacation days granted to you annually based upon your current years of service and type of job, please refer to Administrative Guide Memo 2.1.6.

Please refer to the Paid Time Off page for more information about accruals, roll over and policies for using vacation, as well as for sick time, PTO, and floating holidays.

Q: Do vacations roll over each year? Is there a maximum? What do I do if I run over the maximum?

A: Yes, vacation time rolls over from year to year. There is a maximum accrual of 240 hours, unlike personal time off (PTO) and floating holidays, which expire if not used by the end of the calendar year. An alternative to losing unused accrued vacation hours is to donate them to the Stanford Community Leave Bank. For more information, visit the Paid Time Off page.


Q: I’m going to be retiring soon and am not sure whom I should contact with my retirement dates to start the process?

A: The process to retire starts by contacting the University HR Service Team to request a retirement calculation. You also need to notify your supervisor and your school/unit human resources manager.
Next, review the retirement checklist for staff for other steps to take, including attending a monthly workshop on health care benefits in retirement. Enroll in the workshop using STARS in Axess; search for BEN-2000 in the STARS catalog.

Stanford Sweeteners

Q: Do employees receive discounts to attractions/hotels, such as Disneyland or the Winchester Mystery House?

A: Stanford University currently does not offer employee discount for attractions. In the past University Human Resources maintained a webpage of external discounts, but no longer does so as vendors constantly changed their terms and the university requires strict review processes to ensure no conflict of interest or liability. It's best to reach out directly to the vendor or attraction you are interested in to inquire about discounts. If you are a Stanford Health Care employee (separate from Stanford University), please visit their employee benefits/discounts page.

The employee email list Staffers-Village also may contain postings about websites that offer discounts to amusement parks, so it might be worth sending an email to them. If you aren't subscribed to Staffers-Village, you can do so on the Mailman subscription page.

Q: Is the employee discount on Apple products only available through the Stanford Bookstore, or is the discount available at Apple stores as well?

A: The Stanford Bookstore's Cardinal Technology Center sells Apple products at or below academic pricing rather than giving an actual employee discount, so this pricing is limited to the bookstore and its website; it does not extend to the Apple Store and its website, although Apple may have seasonal academic priced sales.

Please contact Stanford Bookstore's Cardinal Technology Center for an answer to your specific computer pricing questions at or (650) 329-1217 ext. 456.