News & Initiatives - IDEAL
In recent years, the Stanford community shared perspectives about our future as part of the long-range planning effort. Based on the ideas shared, the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access in a Learning Environment (IDEAL) initiative was established. There are many projects across the university to ensure greater diversity, inclusion and equity in academics, in research, and in the workplace. Learn more about IDEAL and some of the campus initiatives.
IDEAL or diversity, equity, and inclusion updates that recently appeared online:
- "The IDEAL Learning Journey launching for all staff: We are one community" (Feb. 3, 2022)
- "Stanford scholars examine systemic racism, how to advance racial justice in America" (Updated Feb. 1, 2021)
- "National Disability Awareness Month highlights a need for greater inclusion of individuals with disabilities" (Oct. 4, 2021)
- "The IDEAL Learning Journey completes its first step" (Sept. 8, 2021)
- "Stanford’s IDEAL initiative makes substantial progress toward goals" (June 7, 2021)
- "IDEAL Initiatives: Strategic sessions for leaders and a learning journey for staff" (June 1, 2021)
- "IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee seeks to enhance staff experience related to diversity, equity and inclusion" (April 12, 2021)
- "Provost's Office appointments focus on inclusion, community, digital education" (April 7, 2021)
In May 2021, the IDEAL DEI Survey was conducted to ask community members to share their experiences. Visit the DEI Survey website.
The IDEAL website includes other recent news.
Because staff comprise a significant portion of the university's workplace and are pivotal to forging transformational culture change, there are many initiatives and projects that foster the IDEAL vision among the staff community. A brief summary of several initiatives is on the IDEAL website. Also view resources in the "Guidance and Support" section.
Note: Each school and unit may also have local initiatives for the benefit of those employees. Initiatives listed here are university-wide.
- IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee; has details about the priorities and initiatives being implemented for staff
- Recently expanded job posting services for staff positions to reach diverse groups of candidates, and developed new recruiting tools and resources for hiring managers; visit the Manager Toolkit ("Attract" section)
- IDEAL IT
- Neurodiversity in IT
- People of Color in Technology
- Stanford Women in Technology
- Year Up Internship Program
- Brave Spaces sessions (conducted in 2020)