Contribution limits for your retirement savings in 2022
Save for the retirement you want to have and maximize your contributions within the IRS limits for 2022.
The IRS has increased your overall contribution limit for this next year, but not the limit for what you can contribute in before-tax dollars and your Roth.
IRS Limits for Stanford Contributory Retirement Plan (SCRP) Contributions
403(b) Before-Tax Limit Increases
You may be eligible to contribute before-tax dollars to save for retirement in the TDA and CRA accounts within Stanford's retirement plan. Note this before-tax limit also includes your Roth contributions.
Age 50 and Over: Retirement Savings Catch-Up Limit Increases
The IRS allows you to contribute this additional amount in before-tax deferrals to your 403b savings plan if you are age 50 and older.
Total Retirement Contribution Limit Increases
The IRS caps the sum of your retirement savings contributions. This total includes:
- your contributions to the TDA, CRA and Roth accounts of the SCRP, plus
- Stanford’s matching and basic contributions to your SCRP, plus
- contributions you make to other tax-deferred annuity plans, a Keogh plan, or a qualified plan of an employer you control, such as a business you own.
|Whichever is less: $61,000 or 100% of your compensation
This limit does not count the Age 50 and Over Catch-Up amount listed above for your before-tax deferrals.
When You Can Make Changes to Your SCRP
You can make changes to your retirement savings contributions anytime during the year, following this schedule:
- Changes made by noon on the 10th of the month will be reflected in the paycheck on the 22nd. (The deadline to make 2022 contribution changes and have them reflected on your last paycheck of the year is 9 p.m. on Dec. 9, 2022.)
- Changes made by noon on the 25th will be reflected in the paycheck on the 7th of the following month. (To ensure your elections are reflected on your first paycheck of 2023, update your new elections between Dec. 10 and Dec. 23 at 9 p.m. PST.)
- New employees can set their elections after their first paycheck.
Log into My Retirement Savings
Benefits & Rewards, Retirement