A list of volunteer opportunities to help you connect and give back in the Stanford community and greater Bay Area.
We support and encourage you to contribute your talents to serve others through charitable or volunteer efforts. These are some of the groups that offer information and opportunities for involvement both on and off campus.
Food Pantry Pop-up
In partnership with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, Stanford R&DE hosts monthly pop-up food pantries for undergraduate and graduate students and their affiliates who need additional food support. Each student household is eligible to receive produce, dairy, meat or poultry, and non-perishable items at no cost. The pop-up events have included seasonally appropriate stone fruits, apples, squash, and greens, plus chicken, cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs, legumes, cereal, and peanut butter among other food items.
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
Volunteering during work hours/on work days
Some volunteer opportunities may have events or activities that occur on your normally scheduled work day or during your normally scheduled work hours.
- Volunteer opportunities for community organizations would require use of accrued leave time for the work hours you are volunteering.
- Volunteer opportunities for Stanford organizations or Stanford-sponsored events should be discussed with your manager and local human resources office.
Please discuss your volunteer intentions with your manager, as you would for any activity that causes you to be absent when you are scheduled to be working.
On-Campus Volunteer Opportunities
Environment and Sustainability
Hospitals and Health
Off-Campus Volunteer Opportunities
- American Red Cross Silicon Valley
- Feeding America
- First Book
- Fresh Lifelines for Youth (FLY)
- Habitat for Humanity
- Haley Jones Basketball Pro Camp (San Jose)
- Humane Society Silicon Valley
- iMentor (expanding into SF Bay Area)
- LifeMoves Donation Drive (supports Stanford's unhoused and low-income neighbors)
- National Civic League
- National Martin Luther King Day of Service (enter your zip code to Find Opportunities)
- One Brick
- Operation Backpack (Bay Area)
- Pacific Art League
- Palo Alto Arts Center
- Petfinder Animal Shelters and Rescues
- United Way Silicon Valley
- Volunteers of America
*This list is provided as a service only. We do not endorse any of these references. These resources are not exhaustive but a sample of local and national resources aimed at harnessing the power of volunteering.