ADD, ADHD and Learning Disabilities
- Barkley, Russell. Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents. Guilford Press. 3rd ed. 2013.
- Hallowell, Edward & John Ratey. Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder. Anchor. Reprint ed. 2011. For adults with ADD and ADHD
- Nadeau, Kathleen. Understanding Women with AD/HD. Advantage Books. 2002.
- Solden, Sari. Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embracing Your Differences and Transform Your life. Introspect Press. Revised ed. 2012.
- Bourne, Edmund J. The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. New Harbinger. 6th ed. 2015.
- Bourne, Edmund, & Loma Garano. Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry. New Harbinger. 2nd ed. 2016.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World. Atria Books. Reprint ed. 2004.
- Isaacs, Mark. Living with Fear: Understanding and Coping with Anxiety. McGraw Hill. Subsequent ed. 2002.
- Jeffers, Susan. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. Ballantine. 20th Anniversary Ed. 2006. Especially good for career issues.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. Hachette. 10th Ed. 2005.
- Wilson, Reid. Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks. Harper Perennial. 3rd Ed. 2009.
For children –
- Huebner, Don. What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid’s guide to overcoming anxiety. Magination Press, 2006.
- Castle, Lana R. Bipolar Demystified: Mastering the Tightrope of Manic Depression. Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2003.
- Copeland, Mary Ellen. Living Without Depression and Manic Depression: A Workbook for Maintaining Mood Stability. New Harbinger. 1994.
- Jamison, Kay Redfield. An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness. Knopf. 1995. Autobiography of a psychologist who is diagnosed with Bipolar disorder
- McDermott, Zack. Gorilla and the Bird: A Memoire of Madness and a Mother’s Love. Little, Brown, 2018.
- Vien, Enid. Mood Swings. Dynamism Publications. 2nd Ed. 1999.
Borderline Personality Disorder
- Bill, Eddie and Randy Krieger. Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder. New Harbinger Publications, 2011.
- Forward, Susan. Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You. Harper. 1998.
- Kreisman, Jerold & Hal Straus. I Hate You—Don’t Leave Me: Understanding The Borderline Personality Disorder. TarcherPerigee. Revised Ed. 2010.
- Mason Paul. Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About has Borderline Personality Disorder. New Harbinger. 2nd Ed. 2010.
- Reiland, Rachel. Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder. Hazelden Press. 2004.
- Burns, David. Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Harper. Reprint Ed. 2008. A cognitive-behavioral approach to resolving depression.
- Burns, David. The Feeling Good Handbook. Plume. Revised Ed. 1999. A workbook based on Burns's Feeling Good book.
- Copeland, Mary Ellen. The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression. New Harbinger. 2nd Ed. 2002.
- Greenspan, Miriam. Healing through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair. Shambhala Publications, Inc. 2003.
- Williams, Mark, et al. The Mindful Way Through Depression; Freeing Yourself From Chronic Unhappiness. NY: Guilford Press. 2007. Some editions include audio CD narrated by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
- Bulik, Cynthia, & N Taylor. Runaway Eating: The 8 Point Plan to Conquer Adult Food and Weight Obsessions. Rodale Press. 2005.
- Carlton, Pamela. Take Charge of Your Child’s Eating Disorder: A Physician’s Step-By-Step Guide to Defeating Anorexia and Bulimia. Marlowe & Co. 2007.
- Knapp, Caroline. Appetites. New York: Counterpoint. Revised ed. 2011.
- Lock, James, & Daniel Le Grange. Help Your Teenager Beat an Eating Disorder. Guilford Press. 2nd Ed. 2015.
- Mellin, Laurel. The Solution: 6 Winning Ways to Permanent Weight Loss. HarperCollins. 1997. For people who have trouble controlling their food cravings
- Roth, Geneen. When Food is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy. Plume. 1991.
- Roth, Geneen. Feeding the Hungry Heart: The Experience of Compulsive Eating. Plume. Reissue Ed. 1993
- Zerbe, Kathryn. The Body Betrayed: A Deeper Understanding of Women, Eating Disorders, and Treatment. Gurze Books. 1995.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (see also Phobias)
- Baer, Lee. Getting Control: Overcoming Your Obsessions and Compulsions. Plume. Updated edition. 2012.
- Rapaport, Judith. The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing: The Experience and Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. EP Dutton. 1989.
- Schwartz, Jeffrey M. Brain Lock: Free Yourself From Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior. Harper Perennial. 20th Anniversary Edition. 2016. Highly recommended.
- Steketee, Fail, & K White. When Once is Not Enough: Help for Obsessive-Compulsives. New Harbinger. 1991.
- Brown, Duane. Flying without Fear: Effective Strategies to Get You Where You Need to Go. New Harbinger. 2nd Edition. 2009.
- Dumont, Raeann. The Sky is Falling: Understanding and Coping with Phobias, Panic, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders. WW Norton. 1996.
- Mueser, Kim. Coping with Schizophrenia: A Guide for Families. New Harbinger. 1994.
- Torrey, E Fuller. Surviving Schizophrenia: A Family Manual. Harper & Row. 6th Edition. 2013.
- Khemlani-Patel, Sony, Merry McVey-Noble & Fugen Neziroglu. When Your Child is Cutting: A Parent’s Guide to Helping Children Overcome Self-injury. New Harbinger. 2006.
- Levenkron, Steven. Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation. WW Norton. 1998.
Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Burke Harris, Nadine. The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-term Effects of Childhood Adversity. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 2018.
- Jain, Shali. The Unspeakable Mind: Stories Trauma and Healing from the Front Lines of PTSD Science. New York, NY: Harper, 2019.
- Jensen, Frances E. with Amy Ellis Nutt. The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist’s Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults. Harper. 2016.
- Riera, Michael. Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers. Ten Speed Press. 2012.
- Siegel, Daniel J. Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain. Tarcher Perigee, 2014.
- Levine, Peter. Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma. North Atlantic Books. 1997.
- Matsakis, Aphrodite. I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors. New Harbinger. 2nd Revised Edition. 1996.
- Naparstek, Belleruth. Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal. Random House. 2004.
- Rothschild, Babette. The Body Remembers. WW Norton. 2000.
- Van der Volk, Bessel. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing Trauma. Penguin. 2015.