Training activities should relate to your career development goals and assist you in qualifying for a new position or advancing within your current role at Stanford. All training activities must be approved by your supervisor.
Who is Eligible?
Regular or fixed-term employees working 50 percent time or greater, including:
✓ Non-academic staff
✓ Academic staff
✓ Bargaining Unit staff
Who is NOT Eligible?
Faculty, students, temporary employees, retirees, and other non-staff University affiliates are not eligible for STAP assistance.
What is Covered?
- Tuition and registration fees
- Required course textbooks, CDs, e-books or tapes
- Stanford Technology Training courses
- Stanford Healthy Living courses (where designated as STAP approved)
- Stanford Continuing Studies Program (CSP) courses
- Stanford Online professional education courses
- Stanford Talent Management & Workforce Strategy (TM&WS) courses
- Stanford Career Counseling Network (CCN) up to $500
- Stanford Children’s Health (LPCH) parenting and prenatal courses (only employee’s portion of course fee; not family members, if joint course)
- Courses, workshops, webinars (e.g. Coursera or SkillPath)
- Registration fees for seminars, professional conferences and symposium may also be eligible
What is NOT Covered?
- Test preparation courses (i.e., GMAT, LSAT, GRE, and MCAT)
- Exams or testing
- Coaching services
- Courses or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies
- Health-related courses (except Healthy Living courses)
- Training to meet minimum educational requirements of the current job, or to qualify the employee for a new trade or business
- Professional membership fees or subscriptions
- Travel expenses, parking, lodging or meals
- Rosetta Stone Language CDs or similar programs
- Reference books
Maximum Yearly Benefit
STAP funds are available on a fiscal-year basis and available for use between September 1 thru August 31. Any unused STAP funds will not roll over into the next fiscal year. Reimbursement is based on start date of the course and not registration date. For example, if you register for a course in August and the course has a start date in October, funds will be taken from your STAP fund balance in the following fiscal year.
- $800 yearly for regular staff
- $700 yearly for employees who are covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement