Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program (STRP) FAQ
Find answers to the most common questions regarding the Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program.
Application & Reimbursement Process
Is there a minimum grade requirement?
Yes, upon completion of your course you must submit a copy of your official grade report to EdAssist within 60 days of your course end date. Grades should be submitted using the upload feature on the tuition website.
Grade requirements to be eligible to receive reimbursement:
- C or better for all undergraduate courses (C- not accepted)
- B or better for all graduate courses (B- not accepted)
- A “pass” will be accepted for courses offering only a pass/fail grading option If there is an option to take a course for pass/fail or a letter grade, you are required to take the course for a letter grade.
What if my employment ends after my application has been approved, can I still be reimbursed?
If your employment with the university or SLAC ends after approval of your application but before you have submitted a request for reimbursement of covered expenses, you may submit a manual request for reimbursement if the reason for your termination is for any of the following reasons:
- Layoff to Retirement
- Military Service
- Transfer from the university to SLAC
- Transfer from SLAC to the university
If your employment with the university or SLAC ended for any other reason, you will not be eligible to request or receive reimbursement for expenses after the date your employment ended. However, if your application was submitted and approved, and tuition and fees were paid directly to your school prior to the date your employment ended, you will not be required to repay that amount.
How do I Submit an Application for Tuition?
- Applications should be submitted no more than 90 days prior to the start of class or 30 days after the course start date.
- Access EdAssist’s My Learning Center to complete the online application process using the STRP Portal within the Stanford University STRP website.
- Your supervisor’s approval is required in advance if paid or unpaid time off is requested to pursue your degree. Refer to the “Other Employee Responsibilities” section below for instructions on how to obtain and submit supervisor approval.
- Track the status of your applications and payments in My Learning Center by viewing the My Dashboard page.
How can I check the status of my application?
After entering your application details, you will be notified on the screen and by email that your application has been received. We also encourage you to monitor the status of your application online visit the STRP Portal.
Who administers Stanford University’s Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program?
Stanford University partners with EdAssist to administer its Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program. EdAssist is the leading provider of comprehensive managed education solutions. Through this partnership, Stanford can better address staff development and improve the overall STRP process experience. To learn more about EdAssist visit the STRP Portal.
What do I need to provide for any allowable fees and expenses to be paid directly to me?
Within 60 days of your course end date, the following documentation must be submitted:
A course syllabus as proof that expenses are required. Receipts that include a breakdown of expenses you paid for required books, supplies and equipment.
Education Network & Financial Advising
What types of expenses are allowable under STRP?
STRP funds can be used for regular tuition and covered fees. Reimbursement for required books, supplies, and equipment is made directly to the employee. Covered fees are limited to the following fee types:
- Registration Fee
- Lab Fees
- Technology Fees
- Course Fees
- eLearning Fees
Will my tuition reimbursement be taxed?
Up to $5,250 of the Tuition Reimbursement can be excluded from your gross income under section 132 of the Internal Revenue Code.
More information on the IRS guidelines can be found on the IRS website. Participants are also encouraged to consult their tax advisor for additional information.
Does STRP offer academic and financial advising services?
Yes, academic and financial advising services are available to all employees at no cost. Stanford University encourages all employees to schedule an advising session prior to beginning a new degree program. Advisors will work directly with you to create a customized education plan that offers a direct, convenient, and cost efficient route to earning a degree and meeting your educational and career goals.
Network Discounts – Many accredited institutions offer participating Stanford employees tuition and fee reductions as well as discounts on books. Contact EdAssist at 844-239-8770 to talk to an educational specialist about your career and educational objectives.
Eligibility & Coverage
Who is NOT Eligible?
Faculty, temporary or casual employees and retirees are not eligible for this program.
What educational (degree) programs are covered?
What are all the expenses covered?
- Tuition and covered fees (registration fees, lab fees, technology fees, course fees, eLearning fees)
- Required books, supplies and equipment
What are the eligibility requirements for the Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program?
To be eligible for Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program funds, employees must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a regular or fixed-term staff member in a benefits-eligible University position and 50% Full Time Equivalent (FTE) or greater. STRP benefits are pro-rated for eligible staff members who work less than full time.
- Have completed one year in a benefits-eligible, ongoing, regular or fixed-term position.
- Be enrolled in a degree program at an eligible institution.
What is NOT Covered?
- Individual courses
- Graduate certificates
- Degree program entrance exams (e.g., SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT, GMAT, MCAT)
- Challenge exams or credit by exam such as CLEP, UEXCEL, and DSST