Pay Guidelines for External Staff
Setting the pay when you hire an external staff member is done in consultation with your local HR manager or professional, who will help you consider all aspects of the decision.
Note: The Staff Salary Structure (secure login required) identifies the salary range associated with each grade.
Salary for External New Staff Hires
Factors to consider when determining salary offers:
- Candidate’s knowledge and skills related to the role
- Candidate’s previous experience related to the role
- Market rate for the job to be filled
- Internal equity – how pay compares to the current incumbents’ pay with comparable experience and skills
- Manager/subordinate pay – how candidate’s pay would compare to his/her manager
Sign-on bonus may be considered for a new hire in unique situations
- See the Bonus and Incentive Guidelines matrix for additional information
- The Recruiting & Onboarding section of this website includes guidance when hiring a benefits-eligible staff member
- Follow the orientation action steps for managers to enroll your new external hire into the Welcome Center. This is not needed if you are hiring a staff member who already works at Stanford.