Work Agreement Process
Axess, Stanford’s online system for human resources and training portal, serves as the centralized system for tracking and aggregating all hybrid and remote work agreements.
To comply with university policy, employees* in a hybrid or remote work arrangement must have an agreement in Axess.
*Work agreements are not required for global staff, faculty, postdocs and students. Some of these groups may have access to the work agreement functionality if managing staff with hybrid or remote work agreements.
Below and in the linked PDF at right is an overview of how work arrangements are formalized and recorded in Axess.
Step one: Meeting and Discussion
Manager and employee discuss operational and position needs, as well as employee situation to determine the appropriate Work Arrangement (on-site, hybrid or remote).
Compensation Review Process for non-academic staff approved to be remote outside of the 10-county area1
- HRM contacts UHR Staff Compensation to have compensation assessment conducted.
- UHR Staff Compensation will provide the HRM with an approved remote pay range.
- HRM discusses UHR Staff Compensation’s recommendation with the manager and agrees on salary. May confer with UHR Staff Compensation if required.
- UHR Staff Compensation approves salary action to be taken.
- Manager informs employee of new salary.
Compensation Review Process for new remote hires (non-academic staff outside of the 10-county area1):
- Prior to posting a job or offering a job to an employee in an approved ongoing remote role, HRM contacts UHR Staff Compensation to obtain approval for salary offer in remote location (to ensure consistency with remote pay approach).
- Once offer has been accepted, HRM will notify UHR Staff Compensation of accepted salary.
1 10-county area: Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, San Francisco County, Alameda County,
Contra Costa County, Marin County, Napa County, Sonoma County, Solano County, or Santa Cruz County
Step Two: Formalizing the Agreement
The employee, manager or HR may submit a work agreement in Axess. The system process workflow will depend on the initiator and which type of agreement it is.
Consult with your HR team for details on the process for your school or unit. Some areas may have up to 2 additional HR reviewers in addition to the reviewers shown below.
|Employee Instructions||Manager Instructions|
Hybrid agreements: Weekly or Monthly
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2|
Hybrid agreements: Non-standard (requires dean/VP approval)
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2||Workflow Step 3|
|Human Resources||Employee||Manager||School VP/Dean|
Remote agreements (requires dean/VP approval)
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2||Workflow Step 3||Workflow Step 4|
|Employee||HR||UHR Staff Comp*||Manager||School VP/Dean|
|Manager||HR||UHR Staff Comp*||Employee||School VP/Dean|
|Human Resources||UHR Staff Comp*||Employee||Manager||School VP/Dean|
*Remote work agreements for the following employee groups are not routed to the UHR Staff Compensation group: Academic Staff Researchers, Teaching, Other Teaching Staff, Clinician Educators, Instructors, Temporary, and Casual.