Work Arrangement to Work Agreement process
Axess, Stanford’s online system for human resources and training portal, serves as the centralized system for tracking and aggregating all hybrid and remote work agreements.
Having hybrid and remote agreements in Axess will:
- Provide reporting for school/VP areas and central units
- Inform high-level decisions about equity in process, benefits and compensation
Below in an overview of how work arrangements are formalized and recorded in Axess.
Determining the Work Arrangement
Step one: Meeting and Discussion
Manager and employee discuss operational and position needs, as well as employee situation to determine the appropriate Work Arrangement (on-site, hybrid or remote).
Compensation Review Process for non-academic staff approved to be remote outside of the 10-county area1
- HRM contacts UHR Staff Compensation to have compensation assessment conducted.
- UHR Staff Compensation will provide the HRM with an approved remote pay range.
- HRM discusses UHR Staff Compensation’s recommendation with the manager and agrees on salary. May confer with UHR Staff Compensation if required.
- UHR Staff Compensation approves salary action to be taken.
- Manager informs employee of new salary.
Compensation Review Process for new remote hires (non-academic staff outside of the 10-county area1):
- Prior to posting a job or offering a job to an employee in an approved ongoing remote role, HRM contacts UHR Staff Compensation to obtain approval for salary offer in remote location (to ensure consistency with new remote pay approach).
- Once offer has been accepted, HRM will notify UHR Staff Compensation of accepted salary.
1 10-county area: Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, San Francisco County, Alameda County,
Contra Costa County, Marin County, Napa County, Sonoma County, Solano County, or Santa Cruz County
Recording Work Agreements in Axess
Step Two: Formalizing the Agreement
The employee, manager or HR may submit a work agreement in Axess. The system process workflow will depend on the initiator and which type of agreement it is. Consult with HRM for internal process details.
Hybrid agreements: Weekly or Monthly
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2|
Hybrid agreements: Non-standard (requires dean/VP approval)
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2||Workflow Step 3|
|Human Resources||Employee||Manager||School VP/Dean|
Remote agreements (requires dean/VP approval)
|Initiator||Workflow Step 1||Workflow Step 2||Workflow Step 3||Workflow Step 4|
|Employee||HR||UHR Staff Comp||Manager||School VP/Dean|
|Manager||HR||UHR Staff Comp||Employee||School VP/Dean|
|Human Resources||UHR Staff Comp||Employee||Manager||School VP/Dean|