On-site Employee Stipend Policy
Updated Aug. 10, 2023
As part of the university’s Affordability Task Force (ATF) efforts, several programs and services were announced to address the ongoing regional affordability challenges our community faces. One such program includes the On-site Employee Stipend to support eligible staff employees whose work is performed 100% on-site and who do not have the flexibility to work in a hybrid or remote arrangement.
Feb. 1, 2022 through August 31, 2023
All regular benefits-eligible full-time and benefits-eligible part-time staff who are required to be physically present and perform all of their work duties on-site1at a Stanford facility and who earn a base pay of $150,000 a year or less. This includes employees represented by SEIU and SDSA2, academic staff, non-academic staff and clinician educators, whose work cannot be performed in a hybrid or remote role. Eligible employees will be identified by their school/unit.
The stipend does not apply to faculty, postdocs, graduate students on assistantships, hourly student workers, casual and temporary employees, oe global staff. Employees who are able to perform their work in a hybrid or remote arrangement are also ineligible.
- Eligible employees who are between 75% Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) and 100% FTE will receive a stipend of $125 per pay period except during any leave of absence. Eligible employees who are at least 50% FTE but less than 75% FTE will receive a stipend of $62.50 per pay period except during any leave of absence.
- For part-time employees, base pay is calculated based on annual salary at 100% FTE. For example, a part-time employee at 50% FTE, whose 50% FTE salary is $80,000 will be ineligible because the 100% FTE salary is $160,000 which exceeds the maximum salary eligibility of $150,000.
- Each school/unit HR will identify and monitor who is eligible to receive the stipend based on the criteria outlined in the policy.
- If an employee’s job and/or duties change where they no longer meet the eligibility criteria defined above, the stipend will no longer apply effective the pay period following the date the employee is no longer eligible.
- New hires after Feb. 1, 2022 are eligible for the stipend.
- The stipend continues through normal periods of vacation, PTO, floating holidays and sick time.
- Employees on a leave of absence (paid or unpaid) are not eligible for the stipend while on leave.
For more information about this interim policy, please contact your school/unit HR Manager.
1 Stanford facilities located within Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, Alameda County and Monterey County including the Stanford Main Campus, Stanford Redwood City, SLAC, Stanford Auxiliary Library 3 (SAL3), and Hopkins Marine Station.
2 Please refer to the applicable side letters in the SEIU and SDSA collective bargaining agreements regarding how this stipend is applied to employees represented by these unions.