Pay Guidelines for External Hires
Main content start
Setting the pay when you hire an external candidate is done in consultation with your local HR manager, who will help you consider all aspects of the decision.
Note: The Staff Salary Structures identifies the salary range associated with each grade. Note: You must be logged into the Stanford Google workspace with your Stanford e-mail to access. Submit HelpSU ticket if not accessible.
Salary for External New Staff Hires
Factors to consider when determining salary offers:
- Candidate’s knowledge and skills related to the role
- Candidate’s previous experience related to the role
- Regional market for the job.
- Internal equity – how pay compares to the current peers in the same role with comparable experience and skills
- Candidate’s current pay, if voluntarily provided by candidate, as well as existing short and long term incentives, etc.
- Manager/subordinate pay – how candidate’s pay would compare to manager
Sign-on bonus may be considered for a new hire in unique situations
- See the Bonus and Incentive Guidelines matrix for additional information
- The Recruiting & Onboarding section of this website includes guidance when hiring a benefits-eligible staff member
- Follow the orientation action steps for managers to enroll your new external hire into the Welcome Center. This is not needed if you are hiring a staff member who already works at Stanford.