Short-Term Disability Insurance (STD)
Short-term disability insurance provides income protection for non-California employees only.
If you live outside of California, we automatically enroll you in the short-term disability plan starting on your date of hire. If you live in California, you are automatically enrolled in Voluntary Disability Insurance on your date of hire.
Only employees who reside outside of California are eligible for STD, including:
NOTE: Temporary employees are not eligible for this plan.
- You do not need to enroll for this plan; you are eligible for coverage starting on your first day of employment
- When you file a claim, there is a seven-day waiting period before benefits begin
- You will receive a weekly disability check for a 2022 maximum of $1,540 per week or 60% of your weekly salary, whichever is less. This maximum weekly benefit is subject to change every January 1.
- The benefits under this plan are taxable
- Staff may receive a reduced Stanford paycheck on the 7th and 22nd of each month
- Faculty, contact your Faculty Affairs Officer or Human Resources Manager to see if other benefits are available