Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Benefits if Recalled

Main content start

If you are an emeritus faculty member recalled to a part-time or full-time appointment, your medical and/or retirement savings benefits may be affected.

An emeritus faculty member who did not participate in the FRIP Program may be recalled to a part-time or full-time appointment for a period of up to one year, subject to renewal. Depending on your appointment and the number of hours you work, your medical and/or retirement savings benefits may be affected.

Health Care Benefits and Recalls

If your appointment is to a benefits-eligible position and you work at least 20 hours per week:

  • You will be asked to enroll in active benefits again.
  • Your Stanford health care benefits are primary, even if you are enrolled in Medicare.
  • If enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan during retirement, you must disenroll while actively employed.

Health Care Questions

As soon as you know you will be recalled, call the University HR Service Team for assistance at 650-736-2985.

Retirement Savings Plans and Recalls

In some cases, you may be restricted from receiving a distribution or payments from the Stanford Contributory Retirement Plan (SCRP) if you are immediately recalled to service.

If you retire with no expectation of returning to Stanford:

  • You may start receiving a distribution from Stanford Contributory Retirement Plan (SCRP) upon a bona fide separation from service. This means at the time you terminate employment with Stanford, you have no expectation or understanding that you will be rehired.
    • If this is the case, you may receive a distribution from these plans no earlier than one month (two pay periods) from the time you terminate employment. This waiting period is to ensure the distribution amount is accurate and that you are no longer receiving a paycheck from Stanford.

If you retire and know you will be recalled:

  • If, at the time you retire, you have agreed with your school that you will be recalled, you may not receive a distribution from these plans.

  • The exception to this is in-service distributions: If you are at least age 59-1⁄2, you may take an in-service distribution from your:

    • Tax-Deferred Account (TDA) at any time; and/or:
    • Contributory Retirement Account (CRA) if you also work 50 percent time or less, and if applicable, have given up tenure.

If you retire, elect to start a distribution from SCRP and are later rehired/recalled:

  • Your distribution may continue only if you no longer have tenure and:
    • You are at least age 59-1⁄2 on your rehire/recall date and rehired/recalled to a 50-percent time (or less) position; or
    • The break-in-service (the time between your retirement date and rehire/recall date) was at least one year.
    • If, after you have been recalled, you consider changing the amount of time you work from 50 percent or less to over 50 percent, please check with the University HR Service Team regarding the impact on your benefits eligibility.

Retirement Savings Questions

For assistance regarding a distribution from your retirement savings, call the University HR Service Team at 650-736-2985, option 4.