HR Policies at Stanford
The Administrative Guide contains the foundational policies that apply to Stanford's staff employees. The Faculty Handbook contains policies that apply to Stanford's faculty employees.
While policies are set forth in these manuals, the Human Resources Manager and/or Faculty Affairs Officer within each school or VP area interprets and guides in the application of these policies.
In addition, each area may have local practices that employees need to understand.
Example: Administrative Guide Memo 2.1.6: Vacations identifies the accrual and usage policy for staff paid vacation time off. At the same time, each school or VP area may have specific practices or procedures to follow to request vacation time off, to ensure work that continues in the employee's absence is shared with others who need to know, to report vacation leave, or other practices or procedures related to vacation time off.
- Chapter 2: Human Resources
- Chapter 10: Student Employment and Assistantships
- Chapter 12: Global Activities
- Visit the Dean of Research policies webpage for research policies as well as links to property management, space inventory, and service center manuals.
- Visit the Environmental Health & Safety website for documents and manuals on workplace safety and emergency preparedness.
- Visit the Fingate website for processes related to financial management, including payroll for employees. For financial workplace policies, visit the Administrative Guide, Chapter 3: Financial Administration and Chapter 5: Purchasing and Payments.
- Visit the Sexual Harassment Prevention website for information and processes related to preventing sexual harassment, prohibited sexual conduct and consensual sexual relationships. For related policies, visit the Administrative Guide, Chapter 1: Guiding Policies and Principles.